» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anyone Hear About Several Recent Ice Rescues?
Vampire With Freckles
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 12:36 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

Hi Folks:

Took a drive up to the lake Wednesday afternoon to check on the ice and to see if there had been any changes/improvements since Sunday. I am sorry to report there has been virtually no change in the ice conditions

While I was poking around on the ice an orange helicopter flew over head heading towards the Barrie area and a short time later it flew over head on what I assumed was to one of the big hospitals in Toronto.

A short time later as we were heading south on Woodbine we encountered 2 firetrucks and an airboat heading towards the lake and likely the boat ramps in Island Grove and I believe there was also another orange helicopter headed towards the lake short there after.

As a result of all the emergency vehicles heading to and from the lake we turned on the Barrie radio station to see if there was any mention of any problems on the lake. Apparently there had just been a rescue of a couple of people on the ice out of the Brecken area. Apparently there was another multiple person rescue on Tuesday a long way from shore out of Pefferlaw.

Missed the news tonight so I don't know what was going on with the fire trucks and airboat we encountered on Woodbine around 3:30 - 4:00 this afternoon.

Bottom line the ice is still not in great shape and I would think long and hard before heading out on the ice for the foreseeable future? Is it really worth gambling with your life to attempt heading out on the ice given the current ice conditions? Call me a chicken or wimp or whatever but I can find a lot "things" to keep me busy until the ice is safe.

PMEmail Poster
phillyb
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 08:31 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8518

https://globalnews.ca/news/10262367/off-roa...ugh%20the%20ice.

argo went through near thorah

I was out in chicken bay yesterday on 6.5", conditions are diminishing - the shore line where we got on was pretty bad - we had to build a bridge to get our hut out there.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 12:27 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

11km out? Really? Doesn’t that put you out toward the centre of the lake? Maybe 1.1km? Im not overly familiar with Simcoe but 11km out seems either really stupid at this point or misinformation doesn’t it?

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 12:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

QUOTE (Drew @ Feb 01, 2024 - 12:27 pm)
11km out?  Really?  Doesn’t that put you out toward the centre of the lake?  Maybe 1.1km?  Im not overly familiar with Simcoe but 11km out seems either really stupid at this point or misinformation doesn’t it?

I agree.

And yes, I believe it's not a mistake - they were 11 km out.

Those guys should not have had any business 11 km offshore in the ice conditions like we have now, even in Argo.

Many people were fishing safely for the last two weeks in known areas on Simcoe where operators had their huts out but venturing out that far not knowing the ice conditions is reckless

This week is very mild and is not helping the ice conditions, so guys if you are not sure , check with a hut operator and possibly leave the machine home for now

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 01:07 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

Dumb dumb and dumber

This news reporter is so embarrassed they didnt mention the distance

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/trio-rescued-from...h-ice-1.6749878

Bad PR for all ice fishers

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 01:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Every time someone goes through the ice they put the rescuers at risk. Yes, a first responder is trained to rescue people from many situations. But using common sense prevents most accidents, and saves lives. Use your brain and plan ahead. No ice is safe ice. And may as well say this since impaired driving is higher this year. Don't drink and drive. Not a car or truck, not a snow machine or atv. If you are going to drink, don't put other peoples lives in danger.

PMEmail Poster
Murf123
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 04:01 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13354

9 atv machines thru the ice yesterday. Lots of darwin award winners .. Other form Iam on is where I get info. Not even the guides are taking clients out . Be safe if you do go.

PMEmail Poster
zvonk
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 04:13 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 122

stupid is as stupid does

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 04:50 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 20215

QUOTE (Murf123 @ Feb 01, 2024 - 04:01 pm)
9 atv machines thru the ice yesterday. Lots of darwin award winners .. Other form Iam on is where I get info. Not even the guides are taking clients out . Be safe if you do go.

Well technically they are probably Darwin wannabes. To actually get a Darwin award you have to actually remove yourself from the gene pool. Typically this means dying but the odd time some yahoo blows their junk off and lives but is no longer able to reproduce so they qualify.

PMEmail Poster
nineinches
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 05:18 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 473

I always walk out on the ice, it is called good exercise and i am in my late 60's. People are just plain lazy taking a machine out when it is only a 10-15 minute walk.

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 06:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6517

I was out off jp a bit today not far off shore found 2 soft spots spud went through in 2 hits. Didn't bother going on to the pac ice as I hadn't checked this area yet. Found a spot in the pac ice with 3 inches down the ways at the start of the warms spell. was off by noon still plus 3 out.

Went to check out why nobody is fishing vb and the Crack that was there is all busted to crap. Would need a bridge to get more than 200ft off shore looks like some machines busted it up good in a few spots . No place to cross even with a plank I have a feeling some one could be swimming in it this weekend
Spots with only a skim and busted ice.

Anyone look at the Temps for next week yikes.

PMEmail Poster
Murf123
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 06:45 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13354

I was at willow beach today. 2 cracks out there. Spud went thru np. we tried to cross walked the crack for 1000+ yards. 3+" water on top of ice no crossable by us. 2 guys did it and made their way ro whitefish shoal see machine marks out there but imho it aint worth it... Off ice b4 noon

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 06:52 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (fishfood @ Feb 01, 2024 - 06:29 pm)
I was out off jp a bit today not far off shore found 2 soft spots spud went through in 2 hits. Didn't bother going on to the pac ice as I hadn't checked this area yet. Found a spot in the pac ice with 3 inches down the ways at the start of the warms spell. was off by noon still plus 3 out.

Went to check out why nobody is fishing vb and the Crack that was there is all busted to crap. Would need a bridge to get more than 200ft off shore looks like some machines busted it up good in a few spots . No place to cross even with a plank I have a feeling some one could be swimming in it this weekend
Spots with only a skim and busted ice.

Anyone look at the Temps for next week yikes.

Thanks a lot for the update Fishfood.
Much appreciated

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Feb 02, 2024 - 10:15 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6517

As I said yesterday someone's going to go for a swim

Apparently someone's tried to float their sled across lol. So there is a machine in the water in vb haha ?

The guy should of tried walking across it first then he would of known .

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Feb 02, 2024 - 10:34 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (fishfood @ Feb 02, 2024 - 10:15 am)
As I said yesterday someone's going to go for a swim

Apparently someone's tried to float their atv across lol. So there is a machine in the water in vb haha ?

The guy should of tried walking across it first then he would of known .

Yep, saw this info as well this morning .

I am speechless .

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!