» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wind factor
sabmgb
Posted: Apr 08, 2024 - 12:26 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15901

I had same setup you have only a starcraft. I fished large bodies of water Lake Erie, Lake st clair. I pretty much had a rule that if it was above 16K winds I stayed close to shore as it wasn't comfortable to be fishing. also I find wind forecast are mostly low. I wouldn't even think of going out in 20K.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Apr 08, 2024 - 12:31 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Apr 08, 2024 - 12:26 pm)
I had same setup you have only a starcraft. I fished large bodies of water Lake Erie, Lake st clair. I pretty much had a rule that if it was above 16K winds I stayed close to shore as it wasn't comfortable to be fishing. also I find wind forecast are mostly low. I wouldn't even think of going out in 20K.

Yup 20K winds can make some big waves, even on smaller bodies of water like Balsam, Sturgeon and the rest of the Kawarthas.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Apr 08, 2024 - 12:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (one4rose @ Apr 08, 2024 - 10:30 am)
Sorry you would or wouldn't go out in it?

Sorry, my bad with my proof reading. WOULDN'T

SDC

PMEmail Poster
one4rose
Posted: Apr 08, 2024 - 01:05 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7238

QUOTE (sdcaller @ Apr 08, 2024 - 01:56 pm)
QUOTE (one4rose @ Apr 08, 2024 - 10:30 am)
Sorry you would or wouldn't go out in it?

Sorry, my bad with my proof reading. WOULDN'T

SDC

lol no worries.

Yea saturday looks real bad. Upwards of 50km, Sunday looks like it dies down a little.

Thanks for the replay.

PMEmail Poster
one4rose
Posted: Apr 08, 2024 - 01:20 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7238

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Apr 08, 2024 - 01:26 pm)

Yea, they definitely do not handle the rough water well. Again, it is more about that then not feeling safe. With the extra bit of horse power on it. You are able to get around, just pretty bumpy.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Apr 08, 2024 - 10:21 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

I checked 5 weather/wind apps and as of now Saturday is a no go for fishing in a 16 footer on the south part of Simcoe especially if you do not know the lake well

Sunday is looking quite good

having the extra HP means squat...I have the exact same boat and anything on big water over 16 plus is a no go as when waves form there are always rogue ones that can be double the size of what is generally happening

Simcoe is not Chemong not even close

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Brooktrout
Posted: Apr 09, 2024 - 07:23 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 64

Something to keep in mind is Simcoe is large and open enough to get some fair size winds (especially with a north wind). However, it is small enough that those waves bounce off the other shore, and you end up getting waves hitting you from multiple directions.

A north wind can make some pretty unpleasant situations in Cook's Bay - as it has the whole lake to push.

This time of year with waters temps in the low 40's, things can go sideways very quickly. I always tend to use an abundance of caution this time of year.
Check Windfinder (you can download the app on your phone). I find it is generally pretty accurate with the forecast.
Good luck if you make it out!

PMEmail Poster
jigwhiz
Posted: Apr 09, 2024 - 11:23 pm

Fry

Member No.: 20264

QUOTE (Longshank @ Apr 08, 2024 - 11:21 pm)

having the extra HP means squat...I have the exact same boat and anything on big water over 16 plus is a no go as when waves form there are always rogue ones that can be double the size of what is generally happening

I agree wholeheartedly. It's the waves that make fishing unpleasant and sometimes dangerous even with a strong trolling motor that can keep you anchored in one place. So i don't upgrade my 55 lsb 12V Minn Kota cause I know I won't be out on the water on any wind stronger than 15km/h.

PMEmail Poster
Limacharley
Posted: Apr 10, 2024 - 11:35 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11791

Does the wind direction affect the Perch bite on Simcoe?

Nipissing has a saying..."Wind from the west bites the best, wind from the east bites the least"

On Saturday, Simcoe wind is from the WNW. On Sunday, the wind is NNW. Any difference in the bite. Looking to go down for Sunday with 2 others. Asking the experts.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Brooktrout
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 - 09:20 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 64

I agree that an east wind makes for a tougher bite.
I feel that it's not so much the wind direction, but more the barometric pressure. Our prevailing winds are westerly. When a system comes in, the wind seems to shift easterly. Pressure rises/falls with the system and turns the fish off (or at least makes them more challenging to catch).

However, I've also noticed that the fish will adjust after a period of time. If we get 2-3 days of consistent east winds, the fishing has been good for me. It seems like it's the initial change that throws them for a loop.

PMEmail Poster
Jesse
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 - 09:36 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16608

Looks like you got the info you needed lol north wind 20km on cooks is getting all the waves coming from the main lake could b a very unpleasant day you might b able to sneak around degrassi point and it may not b as bad , i fish Great Lakes with a 15 foot and a 25hp I always check the wind forecast and always play it safe rather than asking someone else if it’s safe enough

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 - 09:54 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

A number of members have said their "wind limit" for going out is 15Kph.

That is my limit as well. My boat can handle stronger winds, but it is just no fun being out there and bouncing around like a cork in a tempest.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 - 03:01 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

I think that's a general rule that applies to most people----you reach the comfort limit well before reaching the safety limit.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 - 04:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (Jerkbaiter @ Apr 08, 2024 - 11:49 am)
QUOTE (Jesse @ Apr 08, 2024 - 11:14 am)
The wind forecast is the most important part of planning your day out in a boat if your not comfortable or you have to ask others maybe you should stay off the water and wait for a better day

Well said.

It's very general question to answer as it depends on many factors besides the size of your boat.

I fished in 20k winds on Simcoe in 16 foot boat with 50 HP many times but you have to gain some experience before doing that and have a strong trolling motor to hold you in place .

if you not feel comfortable , fish some smaller lakes first to gain more experience and learn your boat capabilities before venturing into a bigger lake like Simcoe, especially that early in the season when the water is still very cold.

X2

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!