» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pickerel Lake
darkhorse
Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 10:57 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9514

Has anyone on here fished Pickerel Lake? I am looking for a new spot to try with my Dad. We usually fish Rice in the Spring, but contemplating a change of scenery for this year. Looking to target walleye.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 03:17 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4441

I superstitious when it comes to fishing a lake that's named after the fish I'am trying to catch never seems to go well.

PMEmail Poster
backwoodsmanbob
Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 03:22 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 98

Since pickerel refers to pike and he is fishing walleye all should be good!!!!!

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 04:57 pm

World Record Trout

You are correct, although many will argue

PMEmail Poster
backwoodsmanbob
Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 05:01 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 98

many would be wrong.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 05:05 pm

World Record Trout

don't get me started man. It blows my mind that people refuse to call them walleye even when the fishing regs identify them as such

PMEmail Poster
trapperdirk
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 04:59 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

QUOTE (ldub @ Mar 28, 2016 - 05:05 pm)
don't get me started man. It blows my mind that people refuse to call them walleye even when the fishing regs identify them as such

You haven't been reading the regs long enough then . Must be a vacuum in the mind .

TD

PM
trapperdirk
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 05:08 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

QUOTE (darkhorse @ Mar 28, 2016 - 10:57 am)
Has anyone on here fished Pickerel Lake? I am looking for a new spot to try with my Dad. We usually fish Rice in the Spring, but contemplating a change of scenery for this year. Looking to target walleye.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Are you talking about the one NE of Burks Falls . Yes it has pickerel ,pike ,and bass some ling . . Its not a big lake but can be decent . Anything that works anywhere else works there . Minnows in spring / fall and worms and leeches in the hot months .

TD

PM
Sterling
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 06:53 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9678

QUOTE (ldub @ Mar 28, 2016 - 05:05 pm)

Want to know something completely insane?

The MNR equivalent out east wants to start using a gender neutral word for "fisherman". And currently "fisher" is the front-runner replacement.

Whatever happened to "angler"???

PMEmail Poster
ThorahGuy
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 07:05 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 644

"Angler" is a specific term limited to fishermen who use a hook and line. Don't even get me started on the gender neutral "angle" The less said about that, the better.

For those who prefer the bureaucrat's version, here is a direct quote from the 2016 Regs.
"Angling – Angling means fishing with a line that is held in the hand or attached to a rod that is held in the hand or closely attended."

This post has been edited by ThorahGuy on Mar 29, 2016 - 07:33 am

PMEmail Poster
GingerHut905
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 08:28 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6091

If youre referring to 'Pickerel lake' near burks falls, next to jake lake. Ive fished it a few times. However ive only ice fished it because we can never seem to be able to get the boat in the water, its just too shallow at the ramp for us. I guess theres a trailer park/campground and theres a guy with a tractor who will back your boat in for you for a fee, but the only issue is finding the guy when youre ready to go home. A buddy of my fathers used his service, and took him almost 2.5hrs to track him down at the end of the day lol. Nice lake tho

PMEmail Poster
Sportfish
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 05:06 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9197

QUOTE (ldub @ Mar 28, 2016 - 06:05 pm)

Hey, when I was young we all called Pickerel -Pickerel the only people who called Pickerel- Walleye were from the great U.S. of A. (They are still Pickerel to me) Time's are a changing....must be getting old

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 05:29 pm

World Record Trout

Hey man it's not a big deal. I call sunfish, pumpkinseeds . My point is that you can call anything whatever you want. But they are technically walleye.

PMEmail Poster
LegendHasIt
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 07:32 pm

Fry

Member No.: 11452

Since we are way off topic. I might as well keep it that way. Anyone annoyed by the tv shows that keep saying walleyes. Isn't "walleye" like "fish"? I caught some fish today, not I caught some fishes. When I catch my limit, did I catch four walleye or did I catch four walleyes?

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Mar 29, 2016 - 07:37 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (LegendHasIt @ Mar 29, 2016 - 08:32 pm)
Since we are way off topic. I might as well keep it that way. Anyone annoyed by the tv shows that keep saying walleyes. Isn't "walleye" like "fish"? I caught some fish today, not I caught some fishes. When I catch my limit, did I catch four walleye or did I catch four walleyes?

Sounds pretty fishy(not fishey, a term of endearment for fishes) to me.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!